White Brothers Mill - Serving the Bay Area - Since 1872
"We Specialize in Custom & Reproduction Mouldings & Millwork"
Location & Hours
White Brothers Mill
4801 Tidewater Ave.
Oakland, Ca. 94601
By Appointment Only
Contact: Debbie Bevan
White Brothers specializes in Custom Moulding and Millwork. Our 20,000 sq ft mill is home to 5 Weinig Moulders along with all the necessary machinery it takes to produce high quality millwork. More importantly we have highly skilled operators to ensure the accuracy our clients expect. With our Profile Knife Grinder we can make or match most any pattern up to 11-1/4" wide. We are a custom run to order Mill. Stock is Limited.
See our Stock Moulding Catalog.
Most Used Links
"White Brothers - Since 1872 - Where We Came From and How We Got Here"
White Brothers has proudly served the Bay Area for over 150 years, with a history that has spanned several generations of one family and survived such events as the Great 1906 San Francisco Earthquake. Formed in 1868, White Brothers began as Straut-White Company, originally located in San Francisco at Sacramento and Davis Streets. In 1872, Peter White, one of the partners, was joined by his brother Asa. Together they bought out Straut's interests, and named the company White Brothers. Later, a third brother, Jacob joined the firm. The following years were prosperous for White Brothers, and to keep pace with the growing business and a growing inventory, the company expanded into larger and larger spaces. They moved their headquarters from the original location to Market and California, then to Main near the docks, then to Spear and Howard. It was at this location that disaster struck. On April 18th, 1906, the San Francisco earthquake and fire all but leveled the city. Incredibly, the inventory at White Brothers was spared, leaving it the only company in San Francisco with a supply of hardwood lumber. In the spirit of helping to rebuild the city, White Brothers did not take advantage of the disaster by raising its prices. In 1910, the company moved to Fifth and Brannan Streets where it stayed until 1948. Jacob's son, Charles Harry White, managed the company from 1920 to 1948, at which time the company moved across the Bay to Oakland. From there, C.H. White's sons, Don, Charles and their cousin, W.T. White Jr., carried on the tradition of the founders.
Now, the fourth generation, Don F. White Jr., continues the proud 150 year old tradition that is White Brothers Hardwood Lumber Company also known as White Brothers Mill. Over the years, White Brothers has developed an excellent reputation for quality millwork and outstanding service. It is the collective heartbeat of the company that prides itself on the quality and craftsmanship that goes into being the best.